Tuesday, January 11, 2011

what's good?

What are good things in life?
I started thinking about this. Honestly – it sprang from this trip to NY. I’ve been here going through training for my trip to Kenya in March. It’s been really good. One thing though that has really hit me, is how different life is going to be. Leaving most things, people, and places that are familiar and comforting to me. Wow…that sounds very dramatic…but it’s really not.
Anyways, so I was thinking about community and man, what an awesome thing that is. And how I definitely take it for granted. And know that I will certainly miss it in Kenya. Although I do believe God will create a new type of community for me to live and be in…which will be good, but man- God has just really blessed me with an awesome support group, really cool and weird friends, and just a lot of people who love me. Im so very thankful.
So I started thinking…what is good in life? To me…what are really good things. Fun to think about. Here’s a tiny list of what I came up with. ☺

What’s Good? (in no particular order)
community. early morning run as the sun is rising. hazelnut coffee from dunkin donuts. long conversations with old friends. riding in the back of a truck. the Word of God. feeling genuinely happy for someone else. prayer. really, really cold water. mint chocolate chip ice cream. walks in cool weather. bike rides in gainesville. thoughts of heaven. traveling. live music. family. bogo at publix. laying on a surfboard in the middle of the ocean. feeling exhausted after a day of really hard physical work. good music. pikes peak…heck, Colorado in general. surprises. holding a baby. getting new running shoes. visiting somewhere you’ve never been before. hiking alone. rollerblading with roommates. memories.

And then you take a look at your list and realize that…not everyone thinks those things are good. Everyone’s list looks a little different…but to them, they are all good things.
And then you realize just how much good there is in the world.
And that’s a good thing to realize.

-tana

"you are good and what you do is good." psalm 119:68

No comments: