Sunday, May 22, 2011

nairobi

Things I love about Nairobi:

1. Chapati.
2. Swahili. I love this language. (especially singing songs in Swahili on Sunday mornings...and knowing the meaning!)
3. 60 cent DVDs - HOUSE Season 1 to be exact!! this girl is happy! I've been wanting to buy the first season forever.
4. Diversity.
5. Reality. You can't escape the reality of need, poverty, hunger, etc. I don't "love" this...at all, but it is something I'm growing very thankful for. I'm thankful for the daily reminder, praying that it leads to change in my own life.

A few things I don't love so much:

1. Lack of running. I don't really feel safe to run very far from my house. And it's just kind of a weird thing. There are tons of people, lots of traffic, and it's just not that feasible. Working out is hard. It's soup can dumbbells for me all the way.
2. The ants that live in my bathroom sink. big ones. and a lot of them.
3. The price of cereal. Cereal is really expensive here! And normally I could eat cereal for 2 out of 3 meals.
4. Pollution.
5. Reality. Yeah, it goes on both lists. As much as one can be thankful for this, if I'm honest with myself, there are many days I'd like to hide behind or distract myself with skype, movies, etc. The balance is difficult to find.

Today I was sitting on a bus downtown, crowded with Kenyans, the only mzungu (white person), and I thought to myself
"I really like Nairobi."
:)

No comments: